Nov 6, 2009

Compression : VII


Swish, I think I'm getting the hang of busting my gut over all these difficult questions. 5 down, 3 to go.

I was an LA Riots fan a long time ago. A very, very long time ago. I first listened to them before I even knew about 'blogs', and was still listening to Ministry of Sound (2006?). Their fresh, live-mix oriented style appealed to me, and LA Riots became one of the many emerging Electro artists that eventually led me to abandon old house acts such as David Guetta and Tommy Trash. Ha.

Lately, LA Riots have kinda dropped off my radar, so much so, that I had absolutely no idea that they were playing here in Melbourne tomorrow until 20 odd minutes ago. Anyway, LA Riots are back with a new remix of VHS Or Beta's Know When You Feel It. Fittingly, the first LA Riots remix I ever listened to was also a VHS Or Beta track, Can't Believe. Cosmic.

VHS Or Beta - Feel It When You Know (LA Riots Remix)

VHS Or Beta - Can't Believe (LA Riots Remix)
The Toxic Avenger - Escape (LA Riots Remix)
Crystal Castles - Crimewave (LA Riots Remix)

Lame attempt at a segue. LA Riots meets Congorock meets Crookers.

Favretto - What's Your Name? (LA Riots Remix)
Favretto - What's Your Name? (Congorock Remix)
Congorock & Crookers - Sbombers

While I'm still relatively nostalgic, let's take a look at Wolfmother. I used to thoroughly enjoy Wolfmother, with their tight guitar riffs, thunderous drums and howling vocals. After the implosion of the original band (two out of three members quit), I was intrigued as to how the second album would compare to the first. Nowhere near the first, but not terrible, as some people have said.

The Wolfmother classic, Woman, was remixed by acts such as MSTRKRFT and Spod (brilliant name, that). The MSTRKRFT remix is everything MSTRKRFT should be now. Chock-a-block with cowbells, disco sounds and hand claps. The Spod remix is what Woman would sound like if it was simulated on a Gameboy. Riton managed to remix New Moon Rising by warping the vocals beyond recognition, resulting in a quirky, Riverside-like sound. I also have here Riton's remix of Para One's Midnight Swim, a remix that I enjoyed thoroughly many years ago. Upon re-listening to the track, it comes off as squealing, clanky and reverberating, not especially listenable. Ah well, I still enjoy it.

Wolfmother - Woman (MSTRKRFT Remix)
Wolfmother - Woman (Spod Remix)
Wolfmother - New Moon Rising (Riton Club Rub)
Para One - Midnight Swim (Riton Rerub)

Before I finish, I feel obliged to post these new Van She/Matt Van Schie (guy from Van She) tracks, but be warned, the new Van She (not the Van Schie) is a radio rip. I also had to post the new Wolf Gang song The King And All Of His Men. One of the few new Indie acts I have respect for. Those kids are going places, keep an eye on them.

Van She - Don't Fear The Reaper

Matt Van Schie - Saturday Night
Wolf Gang - The King And All Of His Men

Rarche Out!

2 comments:

  1. Just reading that you followed LA Riots for a very, very long time makes me auto-respect them!

    Keep it cool bro, still working my way through these tracks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks dude, glad you respect the respect i have for respected respectful respect people.

    ReplyDelete

Yes sir, leave opinions here sir. Thank you sir.