Sep 1, 2009

Round Up: August

August is so passé. September is where it's at.

Top 3 Most Downloaded:
1. Dragonette - I Get Around (Van She Tech Vocal Mix)
2. GRUM - Heartbeats (Edwin Van Cleef Remix)

3. Bag Raiders - Shooting Stars (Shazam Dub Mix)

Commentary:
1. Dragonette remix? Yes please. Growling, roaring, and the like at 1:38, Van She Tech style. Swoit.
2. The popularity of this really jumped out from nowhere, but I assume it's riding on the back of the recent release of GRUM's 'Heartbeats' EP. If you appreciate danceable, nouveau-disco, GRUM's your best bet.
3. Remove the dreamy, sparkle-in-your-eyes quality of the original, and replace it with a jazzy, upbeat melody of brass, bass and triangles, and you have yourself Shazam's remix of 'Shooting Stars'. Foot-tap invoking.

Top 3 Most Underappreciated:
1. Gossip - Love Long Distance (Fake Blood Remix)
2. The Sterehoes - Red Yellow Blue
3. Tesla Boy - Spirit Of The Night

Commentary:
1. I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. Classic parent-speak. But I am disappointed. Gossip is hot right now, what with their new album and 'Heavy Cross' etc. Plus it's Fake Blood. Ashamed. Get it, make me proud.
2. I love the Euro/American pop-like feel to this song, it somehow goes with the Electro aspects of this song. Also dig the Korg solo at 1:48.
3. 80's super synths from go. 80's piano/melody right after. 80's vocals afterwards. All with an oxymoronical (?) avant-garde retro twist. Perplexing.

Bonus For Rarchesters:

The Kills - Cheap And Cheerful (Fake Blood Remix)
The Kills - Cheap And Cheerful (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)

2 comments:

  1. you had me at "korg solo"
    man, i cant believe how much that shazam dub mix got around.
    shazam's playing at parklife!
    are you going?

    --kish

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha
    yeah, that shazam dub mix is a bit of a blog whore, pardon my french
    and no, no parklife for me
    i have to study for vce and what not
    trying to put boundaries on myself
    but damn
    i REALLY want to go
    :(

    ReplyDelete

Yes sir, leave opinions here sir. Thank you sir.